Thursday, March 15, 2007

Daytona Bike Week


Daytona Bike week was filled with the following things.... motorcycles, light beer, sunshine, palm trees, shameless old men, tattoos, thongs, guns, squidding, and did I mention motorcycles?

What an experience... Now that I've been, I doubt I'll go back. I went down to get a jump start on the riding season and a sun tan. The riding was pretty ho-hum. I think that Florida may possess a total of 4 curves. There was a lot of bar hopping and going really fast in a straight line. A few highlights stick out in my mind. One day while sitting in traffic, I was hit from behind, and fortunately did not sustain any damage. On the same day, while drinking beer at a fellow biker's place in rural Florida a guy runs across the backyard popping shots from the Gloc 9mm that he's wielding. This scared the shit out of everyone until we realized that he was the owner of the house. He then went on to show us that he was firing hollow points and that he had a cache of ammunition in his truck. The highlight of my time spent at bike week was the morning my Dad and I test rode the 2007 Kawasaki sportbikes. Totally sweet. On the demo ride, the pack that I was riding with was going 120 in a 35 mph zone. Someday, one of them will be parked in my garage.

The second half of my time in Florida was spent in the Everglades. My relatives and I went fishing for snook, grouper, redfish, and trout. It was a blast. There weren't as many alligators as I expected, but I still saw my fair share.

Overall, it was a good trip. Bikers, in general, a really scummy lot. When I say "bikers," I mean anyone that rides a Harley and is overly proud of this fact.

No comments: